The Global Tobacco Control Leadership Program takes place each summer with the nomination and application process taking place during Fall of the previous year. Once selected, applicants must obtain a visa to participate in the program. The steps in the nomination, application, and visa process are outlined in the notes and schematic provided below.
- Call for Nominations: A Call for Nominations is announced to BI Partner Organizations
- The deadline for nominations from BI Partners is November 14, 2012.
- Nominations submitted after this date will be added to the waitlist.
- Selection: A selection committee comprised of JHSPH faculty and staff, in consultation with Bloomberg Philanthropies will select 110 nominees to submit an application.
- Selected Applicants are invited to submit an application by December 31, 2012.
- Nominees not invited to apply are added to the waitlist
- Application: Selected Applicants are invited to submit an application by December 31, 2012.
- If 100 complete applications are not received on December 31, 2012, additional nominees from the waitlist will be selected and invited to apply.
- Visa Processing: Once complete applications are received, the visa process begins.
- Participants with a US visa that will remain current through July 1, 2013 will be informed if that visa will meet the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) visa requirements.
- Participants not currently holding a US visa that meets JHU requirements will be required to obtain a J-1 visa in order to participate in the 2013 Leadership Program. JHU is not able to obtain any visas other than the J-1 short-term student visa for participants.
- While JHU is processing J-1 visa paperwork, participants are responsible for scheduling a J-1 appointment.
- Participants receive the J-1 visa paperwork and a formal acceptance letter in February.
- Participants are required to submit a photocopy of their J-1 visa by email no later than April 12, 2013.
- The program spots available on April 12, 2013, will be made available to partner organizations for individuals that meet one of the following criteria:
- Partner organization staff who have been with the organization 1 year or less from October 15, 2012
- Individuals who already hold a US passport or US visa
Nomination, application, and visa process schematic